Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Christmastime is here, by golly
Disapproval would be folly
Deck the halls with hunks of holly
Fill the cup and don't say 'when' ...

So Christmas has been and gone. It's now boxing day. Big Sis has disappeared to God Knows Where, mum is asleep on the sofa and dad is watching something black and white on Sky. I, meanwhile, have been working hard at my Doctor Who life. Oh yes indeed.

Yesterday was the main event - The Runaway Bride. Obviously, it's been hyped up to the point of madness, and I was half-expecting it to be a bit of a let-down, but I was pleasantly surprised, and not in the least by Catherine Tate. I know several people who can't stand her and thought she would ruin in - personally, I don't dislike her, but then again I'm not her biggest fan. Nevertheless, she carried the role of 'rebound companion' very well. I'm glad she rejected the Doctor at the end - it needs to be done every once in a while, for him to meet someone who doesn't want to travel with him.

Ok, so to round up - here's a list of the good and bad points.

GOOD
- The Empress of Racnoss. The prosthetics department of Doctor Who deserve every award they get, because that was incredible. Sarah Parish was almost unrecognisable! That spider-suit was certainly one of the best bits of television make-up I've ever seen.
- The CHASE SEQUENCE. I know I've already seen this *cough* several *splutter* times before, but it need reiterating - the TARDIS needs more flight sequences. I know it's probably very expensive and very time-consuming, but it was jaw-droppingly COOL and they know it.
- The references to Rose et al were very well and cleverly done. Not too OTT, nice and subtle. I cried at the end. Well, HE was going to cry, I think I'm allowed to shed a tear on his behalf!
- GALLIFREY. After two series and two Christmas specials, the Doctor FINALLY says out loud the name of his home planet. FINALLY! It's a Ten thing, I think. Nine never once mentioned Gallifrey OR Skaro, and Ten referenced them both in the space of two episodes. Whatever the reason, THANK YOU.

BAD
- "This time, it's personnel." *facepalm* WHY?! Come on, Uncle Rusty, you're a good writer. Why the bad puns? *sigh* Oh well, it's Christmas. I'll forgive you. But I warn you, if you use the "Doctor WHO?" pun ONE MORE TIME, then I will cut off your bollocks with a rusty spoon. Oh, the irony ...
- One or two slight plot-holes here and there. Then again, it's to be expected from Who. Besides, a little suspension odisbelief never hurt anyone.

So, overall, the good points outweigh the bad. And too right. I'd give it 8 1/2 out of 10.

In other Who news, I've decided to enter the Big Finish Competition and send in a Doctor Who story. I haven't yet decided which Doctor I'm going to write (I've only ever written Nine or Ten in fanfic, and they're not allowed to be used in the competition) but I'm sure one of them will come to mind.

Tomorrow, me and Boy are going Sales Shopping. We're both buying SOAP. Make of that what you will.